Minggu, 05 Januari 2014

Marvin, I Love You: A Sweet Disco Song About a Depressing Robot onlinecollegedegreee.blogspot.com

Written By 12; About: Marvin, I Love You: A Sweet Disco Song About a Depressing Robot onlinecollegedegreee.blogspot.com on Minggu, 05 Januari 2014

onlinecollegedegreee.blogspot.com Marvin, I Love You: A Sweet Disco Song About a Depressing Robot

Marvin, I Love You: A Sweet Disco Song About a Depressing Robot S


That's right. Somebody loves that paranoid android. And she sang a song about it.


A while back I mentioned some fun fan-made animations of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio plays, but I neglected the oldest fan animation of Marvin's greatest song!


This one was made by Frank Stringini way back in the pre-YouTube days of 1995, and I thank him for putting this piece of art online.


Marvin, the eternally depressed android from the Hitchhiker's stories, was actually something of a late disco-era hit in the UK when Stephen Moore, the voice actor who performed as Marvin in the original radio plays, the short-lived television series and occasionally on stage, recorded a few singles (with two songs each) as the melancholic machine. My favorite is the Double B-Side (so-called because, back in the days of LPs, the A-side was for the expected hits and the B-side was for the other stuff no one cared about, so naturally, Marvin's had two B-sides), which includes "Marvin, I Love You" with the vocal talents of Kimi Wong O'Brien, ex-wife of Riff Raff.


The first album includes his eponymous song:


In the books (and much latter in the radio series' Tertiary Phase), Marvin canonically sang a song of his own creation: How I Hate the Night. It deserves special attention for the Phillip K. Dick reference:



Now the world has gone to bed


Darkness won't engulf my head


I can see by infra-red


How I hate the night


Now I lay me down to sleep


Try to count electric sheep


Sweet dream wishes you can keep


How I hate the night



onlinecollegedegreee.blogspot.com Marvin, I Love You: A Sweet Disco Song About a Depressing Robot